9.03.2006

A little behind (as always)

All right, I know I promised an update last Monday. I am a bad bad bad bad Blogging Duck. I blame the 12 hour drive (yes, twelve hours) to get the spinning wheel added to one of Those Weeks (tm). Now, I figure there are going to be two types of readers: Type One thinks driving 12 hours for a spinning wheel is nothing, totally normal, and would like to see the pictures already; Type Two is still repeating to themselves "Twelve Hours? For a spinning wheel? Are you MAD?"

Type two is right, of course, but here are the pictures anyway. ;)

After the twelve hour drive, I still had to get all the goodies transferred from my mother's Dodge Ram (a rather large automobile) to my Vette (a car that seats, on a good day, two midgets and half a bag of groceries). Somehow, I managed the drive home from Brentwood completely intact. I don't know if my car has forgiven me yet.


Once the wheel was inside the house, it had to be vetted by the cats. Ceres knows that this contraption means less attention for her, and she Does Not Approve.

Eris took the job of investigating the fiber. She seems pleased.

Oh yes, the fiber (I know, type one has been screaming for details. Relax, type one). Not only did the my mother's lovely, fantastic, adorable, and incredibly kind friend give me a spinning wheel, she sent me home with all the fiber she had left. There are silks, cotton, and wool. I admit, I may have nearly wept a little when she said she used to have bags of silk, but gave it away to some guy on Freecycle. Susan, if you're reading, I'm sorry for that display of emotion. Silk gets me all choked up. ;)

And not ONLY is there fiber, she sent me home with all her handspun yarn (note the 24 balls of natural black wool):

My stash is most verily enhanced. And I would just like to take this moment to reiterate that I got ALL OF THIS in a 1981 Corvette. Never underestimate a Knitter on a mission.

Unfortunately, I still haven't learned to spin yet. I've been tooling around on the internet, and on Tuesday will be going to the library in search of books on spinning. I know there are some DVDs out there, and if anyone would like to recommend a particular DVD I'd be super appreciative!

In other knitting news, I'm still slogging through Icarus. Ms. Felton, your pattern is lovely. I can't wait to wear it. But those last few rows before the edging starts are making me want to jab myself with my needles. I can only begin to try to express my admiration in you for actually deciding to DO all those rows, with no lovely picture to promise that there is a beautiful object to be gained from them.

My random plug of the day: PepperKnits and her Anastasia Sock pattern. It's free from her blog, and is next on my list of Socks to Knit. She's looking for pictures of people's completed Anastasia socks too, so why not give it a try? :)

Coming soon: Hopefully, an Icarus.

1 Comments:

Blogger SoberHope said...

I'm insanely jealous. I want to spin too! But I'm afraid it'd be one of those things I just don't take to.

I just got the Icarus pattern in my hot little hands. I'm going to be knitting it up.

Someday.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home