8.13.2006

Work in Progress Roundup

From my recent posts, you'd probably think I was actually caught up on my works in progress. Sadly, you'd be wrong. Here are a few of my current projects:

The Paisley Long Shawl from Fiddlesticks Knitting. Fear not, the red is only being used for the provisional cast-on. The yarn is the very lovely Schaefer Andrea in colourway Greenjeans. I'm still on the silk-a-thon. It's quickly becoming my favourite fiber.


Next, a scarf slooooowly being knit up for my mother. Considering how many problems she's bailed me out of recently, I really ought to be knitting this faster. The pattern is just a feather and fan, and really, I'm still tempted to change it. I'm trying to find something that will really show off the lovely colours of the yarn. The yarn is from Mystical Creations Yarns, and is a 50/50 wool silk blend. Frankly, I can't remember the name of the colourway. I definitely recommend checking MCY's eBay store, as they've constantly got lovely yarns. I could so mortgage my soul to them.


Then there's the poor abandoned hat from GirlFromAuntie. It's the Cabled Cap pattern, and like I've said before, her patterns are worth infinitely more than she charges. You always get plenty of extra information, and they're so easy to modify. I'm knitting it with Noro Transitions, colour #19 mixed with a sparkly Trendsetter yarn that I lost the ball band for long ago. The hat in progress is modeled by my darling kitty, Ceres, who is obviously VERY proud to be part of this show.

Also modeled by Ceres is the Icarus-in-Progress. I'm working with Misti Alpaca Laceweight, in the Sea Mist colour. I love the finished shawls I've seen, but I have to admit that putting work into Icarus is... well... not very interesting at times. It's great for detailed movie watching though, and I can even watch subtitled movies and knit this shawl. I suspect it's going to be a long time before it's finished though. The yarn is fab, and it's super soft and springy. I'm hoping that won't be a problem when blocking.


Finally, my main project: the Mystery Sock! It's also a Schaefer yarn, Andrea. The pattern is technically Viv's Lacy Sock pattern, but somehow working without a picture has freed me to make adjustments that I would usually be afraid to make. I made the heel a reinforced heel, and just worked by eye after that. The sock is being held quite reluctantly by my adorable boyfriend Tom, who has been incredibly patient with all this yarn taking up space.


I suspect the socks will be finished before anything else, as I actually have a knitalong to spur me into finishing.

I'm still on a shawl binge, and I've got Sea Silk coming to make the Peacock Feathers Shawl from Fiddlesticks, and soon I fully expect to be knitting three shawls at once. I never thought I'd be a shawl wearer - they seem so fussy, somehow. Imagine my surprise that they're really better than a jacket for California's oft changing weather.

And of course, my favourite part - gauge, while useful, isn't as incredibly important as while knitting a sweater. I've never knit a shawl that didn't fit. Here's to many more of them while summer lasts.

1 Comments:

Blogger monkeemaven-fruitcakeknits said...

Hello Ceres!

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home