11.02.2006

Recovery with Yarn!

So, to answer my good friend Jeanne's question - No, I did NOT get arrested. Halloween in Santa Barbara is an absolute blast, though, and I want to go again next year. We started out by meeting at my cousin Jeremy's frat house (which, by the way, is RIGHT ON THE FRIGGING BEACH! Ahem), and waited while everyone got dressed up. I met a few of his friends, like:

Mr. Trojan Man. Nice legs for a guy, huh? :)

We did a little drinking before leaving, and thus fortified, took the craziest goddamn bus ride to downtown Santa Barbara. Seriously. They packed these buses to standing room only, and you got to know the people around you REALLLLLY well. Not a bad thing, as I was pressed up against one of Jeremy's super buff rugby buddies. ;) Not that I noticed, being a good monogamous girlfriend and all. My poor boyfriend hates crowds, so I think that might not have been as fun for him as it was for me.

Our first stop was Sharkeez bar, which was the best we went to that night. This picture isn't great, because I was drunk as a sailor by the time I was trying to get good photographs. Note to self: do not try to match drinks with rugby-playing cousin. BAD idea.

So boyfriend and I ended up leaving fairly early (12am) as he had to teach class the next morning. We took a cab home, because I was obviously in No Shape to Drive. Actually, I wasn't even in proper shape to walk.

Next morning I woke up with the hangover from hell, and called a cab to take me back to my car (which I had left parked in the AE(pi) parking lot). I had a wee bit of a freakout about leaving it somewhere overnight, but there it was all pretty and shiny and waiting for its hungover owner.


Needless to say, I did bugger all else yesterday. Boyfriend and I went to bed around 8pm just to recover.

Today, though, I determined I was going to do things of Yarn Importance. I googled yarn shops in Santa Barbara, and came up with BBs Knits. BBs is an absolutely adorable yarn shop on State Street, and I whole-heartedly recommend it. She carries a large selection of hard to find (at least for me) yarns. She's got a huge selection of Fiesta, Artyarns, and Colinette.

The owner is super-friendly, and was more than graceful when I asked if I could take a picture for the blog. This is her wall of Fiesta, Mango Moon, and Debbie Bliss. The poor thing thinks the shop is messy! It didn't look messy to me at all, but maybe we have different standards of clean. What I especially liked about this shop was that not only does she carry lots of really interesting and beautiful yarns, but she also carries enough "regular" yarn that you could make a sweater if you felt like it. :)

What did I get? Well...

5 skeins of Mango Moon's viscose yarn (I already balled a skein, which pulled in half - hence the two balls). One set of Lantern Moon needles size 8 - I got a set of Lantern Moon for my Halloween Secret Pal Poppins, and I was so jealous I had to get a set for myself. I also picked up circulars, because I didn't know how wide my project would get... What project? Oh, well... I'm finally giving in to the Clapotis urge. 2 years late, I know, but I was looking for something that wouldn't require TOO much concentration, as the Rose of England shawl is kicking my ass.

I'll post updates on my ROE shawl soon, but I'm still tinking back to try and fix my giant f*ck-up twelve rows back.

I'll be back home on Sunday, and I'll try to post a few more pictures of SB before I go. :) It's sooooo pretty here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home