1.16.2007

Tango til They're Sore

Oh my lord, New Orleans.

Really, if it weren't for some big ol strings attaching me to California, this blog would be coming at you from the French Quarter. We only had 4 days in NO, but what a glorious four days they were.

I ate breakfast almost every morning at Cafe Beignet, which provides those of us missing our beloved cats with travel substitutes:

The cat in the above photo looks almost exactly like a bigger version of Eris, who I was missing quite badly towards the end of vacation.

The neat thing about the quarter (where I spent the majority of my time - the garden district is gorgeous, but just not as fun) is that almost all the buildings have these fascinating hidden courtyards in the back. This next picture was taken behind an antique shop.


The antique shops, by the way, are like going into a museum where everything is for sale. Needless to say, I couldn't afford anything in them ("Honey, get me that $24,000 chandelier for my birthday?"), but the wares were just stunning.

Like any good tourist, I did the requisite cemetery tour. We visited St. Louis #1 and saw the infamous tomb of Marie Laveau. It's really sad how people have vandalized the tomb - urban legend has it that drawing 3 "x"s on the tomb will get your wish granted. The Laveau family, naturally, sees it differently.

While the tour was interesting, and I do recommend going the first time with a guide who can explain a lot of the burial trivia, I decided to do the rest of my cemetery visiting solo. I made it to Lafayette cemetery number one (in the Garden District) on a cold, foggy day and spent several hours wandering with Tom Waits on the iPod. I have loads of pictures, but I don't know if any of the blog-readers would be interested. Let me know if you want to see them.

Speaking of Tom Waits, there is NO better city to listen to him in than New Orleans. It's funny, but music seems to have places where it is more "right" (for lack of a better word) than others. Certain albums I have are distinctly seasonal - Tori Amos' "Scarlet's Walk" works better for me when it's freezing cold outside, Hagalaz' Runedance's "Volven" is my early autumn music. I don't know if this is just a crazy "me" thing, or if it's true for other people. Let me know in comments?

As for current, non-vacation knitting, I'm back to the Log Cabin blanket that has been so neglected:

Log cabin-ing is such a strange phenomenon with me. It will absolutely obsess my every waking moment for about a week, and then I put it down and don't think about it for 2 months. Luckily, I've got a lot of left-overs from the Christmas Socks (done in Cascade Pastaza), so I have a lot to add to this blanket.

One final note:

Beware the roving Chickens of New Orleans. They will try to eat your hands.

Coming soon: Must... Log... Cabin...

4 Comments:

Blogger Abigale said...

Whooo Hooo you're back - I was wondering if I should start a search under all the stairmasters in the Bay Area ;-)

Looks like you had a great time! Love the Log Cabin - and the Rose of England is so truly beautimous! even in it's all.scrunched.up.on.the.needles and not.blocked.or.anything.yet glory.

Glad you had fun, glad you're back!

Last time I remember being this cold I was in England!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Ducktastic said...

"even in it's all.scrunched.up.on.the.needles and not.blocked.or.anything.yet glory."

Are you trying to tell me something Abi? ;)

And ohmygod cold. My poor Vette looked like it had been snowed on this morning.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it really warm? We can use some warmth at Seattle...plz!?

Sue F
Little Knits

4:50 PM  
Blogger Abigale said...

Yeah - I want to see the post blocking pictures!

I had a great time in NO - years ago now, but a memorable trip - I got to punch a total stranger in the nose... The husband got pickpocketed, and he beat a street hustler at chess - eating Lagustinas at a dive bar... getting stuck in a downpour that just wouldn't stop - getting my cards read by a gypsy... great place to visit - Disneyland for adults

Oh - I was sliding on the ice on the road this morning - and I don't even leave for work til 8o'clock!

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home